Healthy French Toast
Sunday breakfast has always been a favorite. Okay, breakfast anytime has always been my favorite. We take some extra time to appreciate life and prepare for the upcoming week. Pancakes, eggs, and french toast are a Sunday brunch favorite. I always make healthier eggs, omelettes, and pancakes, so today tackled french toast.
This healthy french toast takes out the bad without eliminating the sweet and savory taste.
I topped this with strawberries, but if you cannot find fresh strawberries or if they are not in season, try sliced banana, baked apples, pear. Chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts would be a delicious addition to this recipe as well.
Ingredients (2 servings)
This is 1 yellow, 1 red, and 1/2 purple per serving.
2 slices sprouted whole grain bread
2 tsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
1 cup sliced strawberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, 1 tsp pure maple syrup, almond milk, salt, and cinnamon together. (Use two separate bowls if you want to soak both pieces of bread at the same time.)
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture for about 2 1/2 minutes, flip it and soak the other side or 2 1/2 minutes.
- While the bread is soaking, heat a medium skillet on medium heat. If it is not, non-stick used 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil or organic coconut oil.
- Place the bread in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Top the French Toast with the remaining 1 tsp pure maple syrup and strawberries.
Serve and enjoy! For more healthy recipes, check out the ‘recipes’ tab.
Here are some of my other favorite breakfast recipes: