Memorial Day Weekend is a time to remember those who have fought so hard for our freedom and celebrate all that we have to be thankful for. With the celebrations, family, and friends also comes food. Summer is just around the corner so you might be wondering how to balance the fun with keeping it healthy. I’ve put together of some fun and festive healthy Memorial Day Recipes for you!
These tasty dishes are sure to satisfy. So starting off with fruit because we all know how important it is to get you fruit and veggies in!
Red, White, and Blue Fruit Skewers
Recipe and Picture from: http://blog.anytimefitness.com/memorial-day-recipe-healthy-tasty-fruit-kabobs/
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 cups strawberries, cut in half or quartered depending on size
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/4 watermelon, cut into 1” chunks or shapes using cookie cutter, like the star in the picture
- 1 large banana, cut into ½ in slices
- 12 kabob skewers
Layer the fruit on the skewers making sure to have a mixture of red, white and blue!
Pineapple Chicken (or Shrimp) Skewers
Ingredients (4 servings, 2 skewers each):
8 bamboo skewers
1 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 16, 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pineapple chopped into 16 1 inch pieces
1 medium red bell pepper cut into 16 1 inch pieces
1/2 large sweet onion cut into 16 1 inch pieces
1 tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1. Soak skewers for 30 minutes in water.
2. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and add soy sauce, oil, and salt. Gently shake and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat grill on medium heat.
4. Place a piece of chicken, pineapple, bell pepper, and onion on a skewer. Repeat so the skewer has 2 pieces of each.
5. Grill skewers on covered grill for 5-6 minutes per side.
Black Bean Burgers
Recipe and Picture from: http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/healthy-memorial-day-recipes/
¼ cup rolled oats
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (roughly a 2-ounce piece of bread)
¼ teaspoon lime zest
¾ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp salt
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pulse the oats in a food processor until fine. Transfer into a large bowl with breadcrumbs, zest, chili powder and salt. Whisk together ingredients.
- Combine beans, garlic and onions in the food processor and pulse until mixture becomes a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into the oat and breadcrumb bowl and mix with a spatula. Add the egg and oregano and stir until just combined.
- With moistened hands, divide the bean mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a 3-inch patty.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan and cook until bottom edges are browned, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over and cook 3 minutes longer or until bottom edges are browned.
2 ripe avocados, pits removed
1/2 large tomato
1/2 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Scoop the avocados out into a medium bowl and mash until smooth. Or if you are lazy like me, stick them in the food processor and mix.
- Chop tomatoes, onion, garlic, and cilantro and stir into avocado.
- Mix in juice of 1 lime and a couple twists of Himalayan sea salt.
Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
Recipe and Picture from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-pesto-chicken-and-tomato-kebabs/
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/4 lbs skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 16 wooden skewers
- In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Combine the raw chicken with pesto and marinate a few hours in a bowl.
- Soak wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step).
- Beginning and ending with chicken, thread chicken and tomatoes onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs total.
- Heat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat until hot. Be sure the grates are clean and spray lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook about 3-4 minutes; turn and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Tomato and Grilled Corn Salad
Recipe and Picture from: http://www.theendlessmeal.com/summer-tomato-and-grilled-corn-salad/
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, packed
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint, packed
- 2 lbs. very ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Optional: Macedonian feta cheese (omit for vegan), extra mint and basil and some balsamic reduction, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium-high and oil the grates.
- Grill the corn for 10 minutes, turning a few times. You want the kernels to turn bright yellow and let some of them get grill marks. Remove the corn from the grill and, when it is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off. (The easiest way to cut the kernels off the cob is to stand the corn on one end and run the knife blade down the corn.)
- While the corn is grilling, prepare the rest of the salad. In a small bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil and garlic until it is smooth and creamy. Stir through the basil and mint. Add the grilled corn kernels to the bowl.
- Lay half the tomatoes out on your serving platter, sprinkle them with sea salt then top with half the corn and some feta cheese (if you’re using cheese). Top with the rest of the tomatoes, sprinkle with sea salt, the corn and any or all of the garnishes. Pour any remaining dressing on top and serve immediately.
Recipe and picture from: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a53147/best-watermelon-sangria-recipe/
- Large watermelon
- 1 750-ml bottle white wine
- 2 c. white rum
- 1 c. Seltzer
- 1/3 c. lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. assorted fresh or frozen fruit, such as pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries
- Slice off the top third of the watermelon lengthwise (save for later use) and score fruit with a knife. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop out watermelon and transfer to blender.
- Blend watermelon until smooth. (If desired, strain seeds.)
- Add white wine, rum, seltzer, and lime juice and stir until combined, then add limes and fruit.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours, then serve.
1.5 oz white rum
1/2 a lime
5-6 mint leaves
3-4 ice cubes
Soda (seltzer) water (to fill glass)
1 scoop pure stevia leaf extract or 1 tsp honey
- Put the stevia leaf extract (or honey) in a tall glass, squeeze the lime in and put the lime in the glass.
- Add the mint and muddle everything together.
- Add the rum and ice and fill glass with soda water. Stir!