I love HUMMUS so much, but who doesn’t?! It is also a great clean snack to have with veggies or whole grain crackers and the good fats in it keep you feeling fuller longer! But, store-bought brands can be filled with preservatives and other not so good for you ingredients. So I decided to make my own hummus (first time) and it turned out perfectly delicious and was also super quick! Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite : ) This recipe is delicious and also completely clean!
Here are the ingredients!
1 1/2 medium red bell peppers
1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Parsley Flakes (for garnish)
1. First you have to roast the red peppers. Line a cookie sheet with foil and then slice the red peppers into about 1 1/2 inch pieces as shown below.
2. Set on oven rack about 4 inches above broiler and broil on high for 10-15 minutes until the peppers are charred. Remove from the oven and place the peppers in a re-sealable plastic bag and set aside (for at least 10 minutes).
3. Peel the skin off the peppers, let cool completely. Take 1 pepper (about a heaping half cup and set aside). Take the 1/2 pepper and chop into small pieces (for garnish).
4. Add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cumin to a food processor.
5. Pulse for 1-2 minutes, then scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor
6. Add the olive oil and the 1/2 cup of pepper (larger pieces) to the food processor and pulse 1 minute.
7. Add 1 Tbsp of water and pulse for 30 seconds more. If you want thinner hummus repeat this step.
8. Scrape out hummus and place in a bowl.
9. Make an indentation in the center with a spoon and top with small chopped pieces of red pepper and garnish with parsley flakes!
10. Enjoy with veggies or whole grain crackers!