Sweet Potatoes are the go-to healthy carbohydrate, and for good reason. They have 7 grams of fiber per serving, potassium, beta-carotene, vitamin B6, and anti-inflammatory and the list goes on. I love plain old sweet potatoes with a little coconut oil and my new favorite had been this cinnamon sweet potato breakfast bake. I decided to try out a new dish for Thanksgiving and have been continuing to make it, because it tastes like dessert!
This Whole 30 Sweet Potato Casserole is well, whole 30 compliant, paleo, vegan, and gluten and dairy free! It literally melts in your mouth! The unsweetened applesauce combined with coconut oil gives it just enough sweetness and the pecans add a nice crunch!
This makes about 15, 1/2 cup servings. This recipe is inspired from Joy Food Sunshine.
3 lbs sweet potatoes
4.5 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Melted
1.5 Cups Unsweetened Applesauce
1.5 Cups Chopped Pecans
4 Tsp Cinnamon (Plus Extra For Topping)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Preheat Oven to 450F. Poke holes in sweet potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 45 min to 1 hour depending on the size of potatoes.
- Remove from oven, cut in half and let cool. Remove skin and set aside
- Reduce heat to 375F
- Add applesauce, and sweet potatoes to blender (I love my Nutri Ninja Auto-iQ Blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, and pure vanilla extract and blend.
- Transfer to a glass baking dish (I used an 8×11 baking dish).
- Top with pecans and desired cinnamon.
- Bake 25 minutes and let cool 10 minutes.