So one of the BEST things I have ever discovered is zoodles!!! They taste like noodles but are a vegetable. I tried a new recipe zoodles with tofu and red sauce. It is amazing!!
One of my favorite foods has always been pasta! I would come home from high school and make butter noodles (I know, know it makes me groan!) While whole grain pasta is good for you, you have to be careful with portion sizes!! 1 cup of whole grain pasta gives you 175 calories with 37 grams of carbs while 1 cup of zoodles gives you 37 calories with 4.6 grams of carbs PLUS a veggie serving…..this is not a hard decision for me!
I doubled up and did 2 cups of zoodles. You can do the math on how many calories/carbs I saved by using zoodles!! I paired it with sauteed onion, tomato sauce and spicy tofu!
Ingredients (4 servings)
2 large zucchini, put through a spiralizer (makes 8 cups)
1 block organic firm tofu sliced into 8 pieces
1 cup natural tomato sauce
1/2 cup onion
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
- Spiralize zucchini.
- Mix the chili powder, onion powder, and salt together and cover the tofu.
- In a small pan, add 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and cook tofu on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- In a large pan, add 1 tsp olive oil n medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the zoodles and cook for about 5 minutes.
Serve! Each serving is 2 cups of zoodles, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, and 2 slices of tofu!